Sticky Chilli and Lemongrass Caramel Chicken
- 1 tsp of peanut oil
- 1 chicken breast, large
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lemongrass stalk (white part only), finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp of kecap manis
- 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 bunch baby bok choy
- 1 cup brown rice
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- Place rice in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring it to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add garlic, lemongrass and chili to pan. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add kecap manis, fish sauce, lime juice and water. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil.
- Add chicken to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn chicken. Cook, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the baby bok choy in a steamer basket and place the basket over (not in) simmering water. Steam until the base of the baby bok choy is just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 6 minutes.
- Serve chicken and sauce with baby bok choy and rice, and sprinkle with coriander.